Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Adventures in Solo Banjo Part 1 - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Fooling around with an old 'Songs of the Sixties' book and came up with this arrangement of Hal David and Burt Bacharach's 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head'.  This tune was used as the theme for the Newman/ Redford classic 'Buth Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' and was a huge hit for B.J. Thomas in 1969.

My arrangement is in the original key of F and there are a few things to watch out for.

For the strumming in the intro I use my ring finger and thumb nail (not the thumb pick) to get a softer tone.

The syncopation may require a little effort to nail.  If it seems difficult in places try counting out the rhythm for those measures at a slower speed before integrating it back in.

For a warmer sound I pick closer to neck position than I do for most bluegrass playing although I encourage you to experiment and see what works best for you on your instrument.

Here is the video...



Here is the tablature (click to enlarge)...


No comments:

Post a Comment